Monday, October 19, 2009

Cheating

About a month ago, I decided to start seeing West Coast Swing again. Sure we've flirted before, but it never really turned into anything serious. For one thing, I've been with Salsa for so long that it kinda felt like cheating. So it wasn't her. It was me. I didn't give her the chance she deserved.

Truth be told, I actually *love* WCS. Always have. Maybe even more than salsa, but don't tell her that! While salsa can sometimes feel like a frenetic roller coaster ride, WCS is more like a flirty stroll in the park. Salsa is heart pumping hot. WCS is playfully sexy. Also, the smooth nature of WCS fits so nicely with my lead style. Rather than sometimes forcing me to be somebody I'm not, WCS actually embraces who I am, and brings out a part of me that I really like. It's a strange thing to say about a dance, but there it is. :)


Salsa es Caliente!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t76xT26sQ5w

West Coast Swing is SEXY (note: these dances are lead/follow, not choreographed)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTwsoAC7qDs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3toYxGlWxk

WCS makes it so hard to love her sometimes though. Salsa is everywhere in LA. I see her all the time. So do my friends. WCS makes me drive 40 minutes west on Wednesdays just for a 2 hour date, and 40 minutes south on Sundays for a 4 hour tryst. It really takes dedication to want to be with WCS.

WCS also tends to attract an older crowd for some reason. Maybe it's because she tends to hang out with the not as cool crowd like Texas Two Step, Nightclub Two Step, and that cougar, Hustle. Salsa keeps company with fun and ever classy ChaChaCha, "I'm easy anybody can dance me" Merengue, and of course naughty Bachata. That's why I tend to dance with lots of girls in salsa, and lots of girls' mothers and grandmothers in WCS. Sigh.

But I think I'm ready to take the plunge. It's time to go with my heart and not with my head. Salsa will always be there, and I'll keep seeing her occasionally... but WCS and I have an understanding. An unspoken connection. She gets who I am. Who am I to deny that?

No comments:

Post a Comment